Subtitle: A novice author’s trek to a far away signing…
My girl in BC has hooked me up with a private reading. I am terrified.
Well, first of all, it will be my first private reading–my second reading over. I did one reading in Ottawa at RTC a couple of years back and I had other authors with me to have my back. This time, I will be running this bus by myself.
So, I have the story written and ready to go in eBook. Print to come. I ordered all the prizes and had them ship ahead of me to BC so I didn’t have to lug all of it on the plane. Turns out, if I bring a suitcase I have to pay them 25 dollars if it’s 60lbs or less. More if its heavier and if I want to carry two. I find I reprehensible that you can’t even bring clothes on your vacation anymore.
Anyway, I digress.
I have all that finished but I still have so much to do. With conventions, someone else is planning it so all I have to do is show up and bring books and swags and a smile. This time, my girl Manda and I are doing this solo.
She’s managed to get us a space to do the reading, created a facebook event thingy that has people accepting, declining and not sure-ing. We’ve had to cap it though because with me coming from Toronto, it would be a pain to not be sure of a number so I could have swag for everyone.
Things that I am still freaking out over:
- My banner – For those of you who’ve never been to a signing before, each author has a lovely banner that has their name, slogan, website, how to find them on the interwebs on it. I am now the proud owner of 2. One is preset up and will be used when I have a ride to said convention and don’t have to take regular transportation. The other, well it will be folded and packed in my suitcase. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get the creases out when I get there.
- Gift baskets – I LOVE putting together baskets and giving them away at the signings. I’ve already ordered things for at least three baskets and sent ahead to BC. But I still need to put them together. Which means when I arrive in BC, Manda will have to take me around to gather supplies, baskets, wrapping paper, ribbons and the like (ahhhhhhhhh!!)
- Picking the right passages from my books to read: This is a little problematic. Why? Most often readers want you to read some sexy bits from the book. While I write these bits and I’d like to think I’m quite good at them – I get all blushy and weird when having to read it out loud. Hence my dilemma. And for this signing, it was requested (in other words I’m doing it I just didn’t know it yet) that I read at least one – *Cries in a corner*
- Speaking in Public – For most of you who know me, you know when I get nervous I talk REALLY fast and that’s when my accent gets supremely thick and then no one can understand me – not sure how I got through Radio Broadcasting with a perfect GPA or passed my acting classes either. Le sigh. But, I will have to start practicing (once I pick the passages). My neighbours are going to think I have a weird fetish where I tell me lover what to do in narration.
- Naughty games and shenanigans – With just over 2 weeks left to go before the signing, I must find fund things for my attendees to do to earn their prizes (And trust me, there shall be some good ones). If anyone has some naughty games, please send them my way. I’d be ever so grateful.
And that’s just the few things I can think about right now.
*sigh* This is going to be one crazy ride folks!